Friday, February 09, 2007

Coca Cola & Culture


Coca-Cola has used diversity in its ad campaigns for some time. I think one of the hallmarks of this brand is its ability to transcend cultures and languages. Just about anywhere in the world nowadays, you can look around and find the classic Coke red with the white swirling stripe on a sign somewhere. You may not be able to read the characters on the sign, but those colors in that pattern means Coke's available here.

Check out all the brands Coca-Cola offers around the world with their "Virtual Vendor."






Coca-Cola in India
Advertisements from the Indian market
And, Business Week ranks Coca-Cola as the number 1 brand in the world.


3 comments:

Matt Moorlag said...

Great post! Coke has built a phenomenal brand image through the years. I still remember the Coke commercial with Mean Joe Green in the late '70s. Flash forward to 2007 and the GTA commercial. Its still conveying the same messages in similar ways.

I thought the GTA commercial was one of the best superbowl commercials and one of Coke's best as well. I actually saw it before the superbowl in a movie theater.

Its unfortunate that I actually like Pepsi better than Coke because I really want to like Coca Cola better.

Leslie Wilkinson said...

Matt, you mention the movie theater ads - I think Coke was one of the first ads I remember seeing before movies. Guess they've always been willing to go after markets wherever they are. Especially then there's a coke fountain just outside the theater.

And you like Pepsi better? I'm curious, where did you grow up? I have this theory that it's a regional preference. For instance, in some southern cities, you say "coke" for all soft drinks. And in other northern cities, it's "pop."

Matt Moorlag said...

Leslie,
I grew up in Michigan where it was all pop. When I moved to Colorado in high school nobody understood what I meant when I asked for a pop. So I switched to using Coke for either Coca Cola or Pepsi. Now whenever I ask for a Coke at a restaurant I get the "is Pepsi ok" response...so I scout out the fountain machine before I order. UNC is a Pepsi campus, maybe that has something to do with my preference.