Search Engine Icons
I'm looking down at the toolbar on my Mac to see what's there. Would I know what these things were for if I didn't already know? First three: Finder, Dashboard, Mail... Mail is the postage stamp. If you're not going to use the very common envelope, a stamp seems like the next best thing.
safari - a compass. works with the name of the software. if you didn't know it was for the web, would you use it? I don't think I would pick it first as a web surfing tool.
firefox - I've often thought this an odd name for a search engine. But this icon seems to come the closest to having a world or globe in it.
internet explorer - simple enough name for what it aims to do. But the big e? Reminds me of my sister. I don't think I would pick this to be a search engine.
aol - This one's still on my computer for when I'm in the middle of nowhere and need to use dial up. The triangle is familiar and has been a part of the AOL image for some time now. Beyond that, again, I wouldn't pick this to be a web tool. I wonder why they haven't incorporated the mailbox into their icons. The "You've Got Mail!" refrain is quite well-known.
aim - The running man, another long-standing AOL image. Again, if I didn't know what the program did, I wouldn't pick this icon to be one for instant messaging. The person suggests some kind of human action. I just don't see person-to-person communication from this image.
ichat - This talking bubble reminds me of cartoons, which is how iChat conversations come across. This one, to me, looks most like what it was designed to do. The small video camera integrated into the bubble is a clever indicator that this program can also stream video if you have the iSight camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment