the rx symbol. I've always had trouble with this one. I understand the mortar and pestal that often appears with pharmacies. I think understand that one because I've taken enough science classes to recognize the image. I understand the Rx because I've seen it so many times both on prescription forms and at the pharmacy. I've had the history behind the Rx explained to me before. But, it still seems old and outdated.
From wikipedia: "The symbol "Rx" meaning "prescription" is a transliteration of a symbol resembling a capital R with a cross on the diagonal.
(I'm determined to find another site to source!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_prescription
Even though I'm not a fan of this one, I know when I see it that it means there's a pharmacy there. So does the rest of the country. Wonder what it could look like?
Maybe Target should redesign that, too, like they redesigned the pill bottles.
1 comment:
According to my brother, the doctor, non-reading patients look for the red cross on the sign or in the window. (This was in inner-city Baltimore, I don't know what a non-reader would look for in Chapel Hill.)
Post a Comment