Friday, January 26, 2007

it's so simple


Real Simple magazine

Every time I pick up an issue of this magazine, I'm inspired to clean my house, cook something big and new, buy a bunch of organizing boxes, or redecorate something. Well, I always feel inspired. Whether or not I actually go out and buy the new stuff is another matter entirely.


But, that's the design of the magazine. It's open. Clean. With a soft color palatte that makes you want to linger and study the finer details in the boxes, paper clips, recipes and everything else that's in there. Martha Stewart magazine has a similar affect. Whenever I pick that one up, I'm ready to rush off to the grocery store for whatever random out there ingredient I'm missing.


What I find interesting about both magazines is that they do all these things without feeling overbearing. Contrast Real Simple with Family Circle or Woman's Day. Those magazines feel like "my mother's magazines" and don't feel like they have things inside them that I want to do. Ultimately, neither group of magazines has things that I would do on my own. It's the clean inspiring feel of Real Simple that makes me feel like I can get my house in order.

1 comment:

serena fenton said...

Nice work contrasting between the magazines! Branding! It's the way to communicate. Identify your audience and talk to them on their level.