Friday, January 19, 2007

Painting with chalk



Of all the fabulous photos Observer photographers shoot every year, this one from 2002 is still one of my favorites. I love color. And, I love patterns. This photo by the Observer's Gayle Shomer does so much with each of those.


There's the pattern of the bricks that have been "painted" over with sidewalk chalk. It's rather like a mosaic. There's the pattern of the fine weave of the woman's hat. And, the colors are so vibrant, even on top of that dark brick.

Photo copyright The Charlotte Observer

3 comments:

gercohenJoMC712 said...

wonder if the "painter" was using the bursh to apply a lacquer to preserve, or just smoothing and blending the colors?

Leslie Wilkinson said...

If I remember the discussion correctly (I was fortunate to be able to design a page with this photo on it), we did talk about that question. I think she was using the brush as a blending tool.

Chad said...

That is a great picture. I love all the swirling colors...