Do you really need to go to Target today? Or are you going because the red bulls-eye persuaded you that you needed to go buy a mop or paper towels or a camera or a really cute pair of shoes?
Do you really need another serving platter or set of drinking glasses? Don't you already have a set of wine glasses, martini glasses, margarita glasses and juice glasses? But, I don't have a set of double-old-fashioned bar glasses! (Inner monologue whenever I set foot into Crate&Barrel). What is it about plain basic clear glasses when they're displayed in that store that makes me want to have them? Or maybe it's the really cool black and white boxes.Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware are just as bad. Would I really think about redecorating my bathroom without consulting both stores to see what cool knobs and drawer pulls each has? Seriously, lj, you can get the same thing at the regular ole hardware store for at least half the price.
Mmmm... Starbucks. Check off several of the characteristics from this week's readings: "warm, comfortably lit places; sweet tastes and smells; highly saturated hues; "soothing" sounds and simple melodies and rhythms; smiling faces; symmetrical objects; rounded, smooth objects" and you've pretty much defined a Starbucks.
I'm guilty in all these stores. Like this week's readings suggest, good design makes you want to have it. Or, go visit, or be inspired to at least look like you shopped there.
3 comments:
Wonderful descriptions of the designed shopping experience.
I know skilled women with advanced degrees who work part time at Pottery Barn and Southern Season just because they love the ambiance. The brand experience is part of their identity.
ooo Southern Season!
I can't visit Chapel Hill without stopping in. Even if I don't need a thing.
I have the same inner dialogue about glassware! I see a design, a shape, and I want it, regardless of the fact that my cabinet is full. I don't even mind when the old ones break, because it means more space for another design in the future. And wine glasses - I keep thinking we'll need more for that big party we may throw in 20 years. Geesh, what is it about glassware?
Post a Comment