Friday, March 02, 2007

A Whirlwind Tour with Munchkins

Update: New camera didn't get used today. I got a little ahead of myself and forgot how busy it is running of these groups of teams. Phew! I don't know how teachers do it some days. One of my teams today travelled to the imaginary land of "Thirsty," where the people were all Diet Coke. No other kinds, just Diet. Children after my own heart. :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is my seventh year (I think) of volunteering for Odyssey of the Mind. I did a similar program when I was a kid. There's lots of OM parents in the newsroom, they needed volunteers for their schools, so I said sure. I've been hooked ever since.


This is some of the most fun volunteer work I've ever done. The premise is this: Here's a problem with a set of conditions. Solve it and present it to the judges in 8 minutes. Spend only $125. Sing. Dance. Act. Build a set. Have fun learning creative problem solving. It's so much fun every year.

This year's "Classics" problem was Around the World in 8 Minutes, a NASA sponsored problem.

The Central Region tournament is Saturday morning. I'm judging the elementary kids bright and early. I'm hoping to test out the new camera with them and some of their very inventive creations. If I can figure it out and run a competition all at the same time, that is. :-)

one of the last minute "clarifications" for the problem made me laugh today at the set-up site. seems the kids aren't allowed to mix mentos and diet coke as part of their performance. ha!
02-27-2007
5. Teams are not allowed to mix Mento's and soda or to create the same or a similar type of reaction using any other combination of materials, products, etc.

No comments: